Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Hope You Don't Need to Wiki Tomorrow

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/English_Wikipedia_anti-SOPA_blackout

Wikipedia is going to "black out the English-language Wikipedia for 24 hours, worldwide, beginning at 05:00 UTC on Wednesday, January 18 (you can read the statement from the Wikimedia Foundation here). The blackout is a protest against proposed legislation in the United States – the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) in the U.S. House of Representatives, and the PROTECT IP Act (PIPA) in the U.S. Senate – that, if passed, would seriously damage the free and open Internet, including Wikipedia."

I guess I wont be looking up random facts about random things that randomly interest me for small amounts of time.  Such as: what is the Wikimedia Foundation?  And, where, geographically, does the UTC time zone represent?

I'll just have to wait until the day after tomorrow.

Except I might not care by then.

3 comments:

  1. Funny thing is, I was able to use my wikipedia app on my phone, and nothing was blocked that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I guess only old-schoolers like me that don't have iPhones use the web version, and I didn't check to see if it was actually blacked out.

      Delete
  2. I saw that google blacked out their logo but when I searched for something that I didn't understand for work, happens everyday, I just skipped over the Wikipedia links

    ReplyDelete