Sunday, September 2, 2012

Girl With The Immigrant Song Butcher

I've been listening to the Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross soundtrack for the American Girl With The Dragon Tattoo movie.  I like it, except for track one, Immigrant Song, featuring Karen O.

I was excited about the idea, mainly because it is a killer song, Reznor is the king, and I enjoy some of Karen O's work with the Yeah Yeah Yeah's.  Somehow, they managed to make it very boring and generic-pop-electro.  I guess this track was intended for the big ending credit roll, and maybe as a single to sell to the kids.  Luckily the rest of the soundtrack has all the great stuff you could expect from the mature Reznor, like synthesized drones and echoes with pretty and simple piano melodies, all with the classic underlying tension and creepiness.

As long as the good outweighs the bad, I'm happy.


6 comments:

  1. A for effort, I suppose... I don't know, I've only heard maybe a few bands/artists that I feel have done Led Zeppelin any justice with their covers, and this is not one of them. I guess with Led Zeppelin being my all time favorite, it's always going to be hard for me to be accepting towards someone else's cover of their songs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would have been better with a different vocalist. I liked the take with the electro feel, but this Karen O was a bit to "pixie girl trying to be tough"-ish. STP's dancing days is still one of me fav Zep covers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I expected better also. I remember not being impressed when the movie first came out and they had this out as a promo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favorite Led Zeppelin covers is "The Battle of Evermore" from the "Singles" soundtrack. I can't remember what artist recorded that one. Can anybody answer that without using google or wikipedia or any of the internet turbo brains? (Referencing physical album art and watching movie credits are allowed.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As owner of said disc the Artist is the Lovemongers.

    ReplyDelete